Stranger Than Fiction
”Little did he know...”.One morning, a seemingly average and generally solitary IRS agent named Harold Crick begins to hear a female voice narrating his every action, thought and feeling in alarmingly precise detail. Harold’s carefully controlled life is turned upside down by this narration only he can hear, and when the voice declares that Harold Crick is facing imminent death, he realizes he must find out who is writing his story and persuade her to change the ending. The voice in Harold’s head turns out to be the once celebrated, but now nearly forgotten, novelist Karen “Kay” Eiffel (Emma Thompson), who is struggling to find an ending for what might be her best book. Her only remaining challenge is to figure out a way to kill her main character, but little does she know that Harold Crick is alive and well and inexplicably aware of her words and her plans for him.
See Stranger Than Fiction movie website
Watch Stranger Than Fiction trailer
Recipe for Bavarian Sugar Cookies
Questions For Discussion
- Why do you think that all the movies' characters are named after famous mathematicians or engineers?
- How did Harold Crick find the story he was living?
- Did Karen Eiffel’s character change after meeting Harold Crick? Why or why not?
- What, if anything, was lacking in Professor Jules Hilbert’s advice to Harold: "Go live your life however you like. Make your life the life you've always wanted"?
- “What's more important -- a single life or a great piece of literature?"
- Which biblical stories are you reminded of by 'Stranger than Fiction' and why?
- What do you think is the significance of the line "Little did he know"?
- What is the relationship between tragedy and comedy in the human story? In the Christian story?
- How does your perception change when you realize that you are a creature rather than the master of your own life?
- Read the final montage. Where did you see glimpses of this in the movie? How have you seen this lived out in your community? Has your understanding of 'salvation' changed over your lifetime?
- Would the movie be more meaningful if Crick had died in the story?