As It Is In Heaven
A successful international conductor suddenly interrupts his career and returns alone to his childhood village in Norrland, in the far north of Sweden.It doesn't take long before he is asked to come and listen to the fragment of a church choir, which practises every Thursday in the parish hall. Just come along and give a little bit of good advice. He can't say no, and from that moment, nothing in the village is the same again.
Review from Spirituality & Practise
Questions For Discussion
About The Movie
- How does the early childhood episode in the grain field shape Daniel’s life?
- Why do you think he move back to his childhood village?
- What keeps Stig, the pastor, from letting go?
- Why is the movie titled “As It Is In Heaven”?
- Do you find Daniel’s transformation believeable?
- What was your favourite character and why? Least favourite?
About The Themes
- What is the metaphor of voice and singing?
- How do the themes of the individual related to community get expressed?
- What is it about music that is 'not about competition'?
- What do you think Lena meant when she said to Daniel, "There is no death"?
- What went into Daniel's confession at the end that he loved and was loved by his choir? Is it important that he was asked if he had realized his dream?
- What helps or hinders you from finding your voice?
- Bonhoeffer talked about not being in community until you could be alone and not being alone until you could be in community. How does this quote speak to you?
- What was your reaction to the ending? What do you think it means?